Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 January 2016

Shelving, varnishing, air heater progress and weird weather.




27 01 16

Galley shelving

 

Yesterday I completed the installation of some extra working storage space in the galley.
   

I’d had the idea ages ago. The crockery storage on the left looks nice and it would be a small job to fix a shelf on top of the main strake running above the basin. The problem was getting the strip mahogany. No one had any. The nearest would be in Colchester. 


Then good luck struck as I was clearing out Rafiki. Pop had used two beautiful pieces of mahogany as legs for his work table in the studio. I took slices off them using a circular saw (I knew that workshop training some 50 years ago would come in useful one day.) varnished them up and stuck them in place with screws and glue. Looks and works fine.


  
                                                                                        Must get the camera flash working!


 



Varnishing

Lady Cate has lots of varnished wood both topsides and insides. Preparing the wood for the galley storage got me started. Varnishing will be an endless maintenance chore, which I don’t mind, as it is restful work. Apart from the shelving I’ve practiced on a few areas in the wheelhouse. Makes a dramatically shiny improvement.

Can't get going on the outside until the weather's better. April is the earliest they start.
 

Air heater

At last I’ve ordered and payed for (PayPal) the air heater from China, $590.00 including air freight. Can’t wait to get going. I’ve been lucky with this mild winter.






 Weather

Although very mild it has been very windy, regularly up to force 7. Lady Cate rocks about happilky at her mooring, which I love, though I can't say why!
Bye for now.






No comments:

Post a Comment