Search This Blog

Friday 2 September 2016

UP THE THAMES - A sentimental journey.

Today to Teddington on the rising tide. The weather was very windy but bright. The water very choppy with wind over tide combined with commuter and pleasure traffic. The river is tremendously busy. Having to concentrate I had little chance to take pics but here are those I got on the way.





Liveaboards by the fuel berth outside St Katherine's Dock.





You know what!






This one too!





HMS Belfast. Not a good shot but the ride was very bumpy and the traffic non-stop.




The wooden model of Medieval London that will be ceremonially burned to commemorate the 350th anniversary of The Great Fire of London.









And so by winding river ways including the Boat Race course (which I rowed in reverse in the Schools Head of the River Race) to Teddington (Tide End Town) and the peace of non-tidal waters.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





I decided to stay overnight after all that excitement and popped over the famous old suspension bridge to look around.





 





And there was this towering former church - a dramatic piece of architecture - now used as a Lanmark Arts Centre. Note the huge spider crawling up the wall.




 Inside was a lady on stage bashing out a tricky Chopin piece on a rackety old piano to an audience of mothers and babies! Starting them young these days it appears.




 




This is the wide weir at Teddington Lock viewed from the suspension bridge.







-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so on a sentimental journey up river to Weybridge.






Passing Hampton Court ...




... to think that monarchs were rowed here all the way from London.




Passing Hampton School's budding oarsmen with their bright yellow blades. That really took me back. I loved my school rowing.
 
There were lots of young rowers out, surely before term time. Something was afoot. A sampler day for those rising to the third year and so being able to join the Boat Club I guess.
 
We used to share with Molesey Boat Club. Now the School has its own wonderful boathouse. I couldn't get a pic as there were so many oarsmen out. Must try to get one on the return trip.





Classic Sunbury-on-Thames riverside properties.










In Sunbury Lock where I used to 'help' when a boy.






The upstream weir down to the side stream where my brother Nick and I played as boys.








Weybridge. Moored within 50 yards of my first home, a houseboat in Dunton's Boatyard.
I told you it was a sentimental journey.



1 comment: